At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do phenomenal things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We're looking for a Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch team, focusing on work on Security. Our team builds Elasticsearch, the heart of the Elastic Stack.
Engineering a distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a challenge. It requires software development skills and the ability to think like a user. We care deeply about giving you ownership of what you’re working on. Our company believes we achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of; we feel that you should be empowered to comment on anything, regardless of your role within the company.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Evolving the security features of Elasticsearch.
- Implement authentication, authorization, and other security protocols within Elasticsearch.
- Build the foundation of security for the Elastic Stack using knowledge of cryptographic primitives and security trade-offs.
- Prototype new ideas and experiment openly.
- Collaborating in the open with the Elasticsearch team, Elastic Stack users, and others supporting open source projects.
- Working with the community on bugs and performance issues and assisting out support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along:
- You are comfortable coding in Java, conversant in the standard library of data structures and concurrency constructs, as well as newer features like lambdas.
- Experience securing applications and knowledge of security protocols.
- You've worked on open source projects before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You've built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.