This won’t be like other engineer job descriptions you’ve read. And you can read it in 86 seconds.
At Clearcover, we’re tackling complex, technology challenges by modernizing the car insurance experience. And we believe in candor and clear communication.
So we won’t waste your time: we’re looking for highly-skilled backend engineers to build something entirely new.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Clearcover is an exceptional place to grow as an engineer.
We’re solving really, really interesting problems. We’re building something completely new. And we’ve put together a team of proven engineering leaders who have already led companies to acquisition and funding. At Clearcover, you’ll be on a formal career track with coaching and mentorship from some of the top people in the business. If you’re looking to get better at what you do, this is the place.
1. Your work will matter.
No engineer on our team writes throwaway code. We plan carefully, communicate openly, and question first principles. Our exceptional product team works diligently to ensure that we’re working smart. At Clearcover, every engineer has a voice at the table and a direct effect on our trajectory.
2. We treat our engineers right.
When we were writing this ad, one of our latest architecture hires walked up and said, “Tell them the benefits are the best I’ve ever had.” So we’re telling you. Full details below.
Who are we? We’re Clearcover, the smarter car insurance company. We’re proud to be one of the fastest-growing startups in Chicago (and listed as one of Build It’s Best Places to Work 2019).
Yes, we’re an insurance company. No, insurance isn’t boring. What is boring is the way insurance has been done for the past century. We’re rethinking everything about insurance, challenging all assumptions, and building an incredible technical product from the ground up. It’s a challenge—but an amazing one.
Okay. That was 86 seconds, so, as promised, we’re going to stop talking. Either this challenge speaks to you or it doesn’t, and you probably already know which.
Already starting to feel like a member of our team? Read on
How does engineering work at Clearcover?
Our mantra is Build It. Ship It. Own It. We believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own the decisions necessary to run their software.
That’s why Clearcover engineering teams are set up as agile innovation pods. Teams are able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they choose. And every team gets to be a part of our growth by building high-quality software at scale.
Here are some of the technologies we use:
Languages: Ruby, Scala, Kotlin, Typescript, Python
Cloud /Big Data: AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Redis, Snowflake, Tableau
UI / Mobile: React, React Native
Tooling: If it helps deliver higher quality software faster, we'll use it
Let’s talk logistics.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, Matt Dressel, the Backend Engineer will work collaboratively with the larger Product and Engineering team to further develop backend services to support our acquisition, third party integrations, claims, and insurance product.
What will you do?
- Design, build and maintain our backend infrastructure using Ruby on Rails,
- Own features from start to finish while working with your scrum team to ensure an excellent outcome
- Collaborate with other teammates to creatively solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to users interface and experience.
- Help improve, expand and maintain our acquisition, applicant and customer APIs
What are our benefits like?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium and contribute to your HSA and HRA.
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- And yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social!