ON BEING A BUILD PIPELINE ENGINEER AT BALENA
We strongly believe that the state of the art in software development, testing, and deployment is light years behind what it could be. Balena engineers take pride on accomplishing more with less by exponentially increasing their productivity through automation and internal tooling, and we are never afraid to question established software development practices, and pioneer our own, to improve the way we work.
As a build pipeline engineer, you will be working on our cross-platform in-house continuous integration system; on internal tools that range from automatic versioning based on commit conventions, to automated project landing website generation; and on discussing and implementing innovative deployment tools and processes within the distributed systems world.
A successful build pipeline engineer is a well-rounded generalist and great communicator that take pride on maximizing the output of their team. They are eager to take responsibility for a project, and are able to make good decisions about the project because they have the context of what's important.
We don't require engineers to already be familiar with the technologies we use. We are happy to invest in people that showcase a strong understanding of the challenges of software development, testing, and deployment along with a willingness to learn and grow.
- Actively invest back into our own technology, libraries, and frameworks
- Be highly motivated to produce great code
- Maintain the health of our internal build and deployment systems
- Implement and maintain internal tools to improve our in-house build and deploy pipeline
- Identify parts of our development and deployment cycle that can be automated, and push to make that happen
- Challenge orthodoxy when that will help the product evolve
- Design, architect, and own the execution of your projects
- Collaborate, brainstorm, and coordinate work with other teammates
- Understand the high-level goals, and thus know how to prioritize your work
Need to have:
- Desire to make yourself and others more effective. You'd be bothered by an inefficient process
- Good understanding of software engineering practices and how to apply them
- Excellent written communication skills, and fluency in English
- Self-discipline to take on a project and push it to completion without too much management. You also know when to ask for help
- Highly organized, able to handle many threads at once, and keep things moving
- Strong problem-solving abilities. You know how to split a complex problem into incremental pieces
- Strong programming and software engineering skills
- Good understanding of git, Docker, and shell scripting
Nice to have:
- A sample of your work (URL or attached sample)
- Contributions to OSS projects (please include a URL)
- Having worked remotely before
- Experience with balena as a user
- Experience with embedded GNU/Linux, anything ranging from personal projects with a Raspberry Pi to commercial or industrial scenarios with custom devices
- Experience with the GitHub API and GitHub Apps Marketplace
- Experience with cross-platform application development (macOS, Windows, and GNU/Linux)
- Experience with Concourse CI and Kubernetes
- Experience in the Node.js and Rust ecosystem
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you!
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Generous vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location - this year, Barcelona in October
- We send you hardware for side projects!
ABOUT WORKING AT BALENA
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We value knowledge and initiative more than educational and personal backgrounds, age, or location. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather learn than let our assumptions get in our way.
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team. Please include in your cover letter a paragraph about something you worked on that you found technically appealing or exciting.